Global Health-Hospital Medicine Fellowship – Non ACGME
Innovating Health International (IHI) is a non-profit organization that works with various Haitian healthcare institutions to provide vital health services to Haitians who have limited access to health services.
Residents will work under the direction of Vince DeGennaro, MD MPH in clinical rotations of 2-4 weeks and will have the opportunity to work providing direct clinical care with Haitian and American physicians or, with a longer time commitment, public health research projects. French or Creole proficiency is preferred but not required due to availability of translators.
IHI is a medical service delivery and public health non-profit organization in Haiti. We are looking for internal or family medicine doctors interested in spending 1-2 years learning the skills for a career in global health and hospital medicine.
- The fellowship will be one or two years in duration, depending on the interests of the fellow, with the fellows spending 6 to 8 months of each year as hospitalists in the growing and dynamic University of Florida Division of Hospital Medicine at UF Health. The 4 to 6 months will be spent in Haiti with Innovating Health International in Port-au-Prince and Cap Haitien.
- Fellows will receive instruction through the Department of Epidemiology and complete a Global Health Certificate by the end of two years. During the optional second year, fellows can attend a two-month course for a Diploma in Tropical Medicine and Hygiene in either Peru or Uganda/Tanzania.
- Fellows will work on Innovating Health International’s public health and research projects throughout the fellowship and are expected to present at a conference or publish a paper by the end.
- The fellows will serve as faculty for US residents and Haitian generalist doctors when they are in Haiti, and they will have teaching opportunities while at UF Health as well.
- Fellows will have Adjunct Clinical Post Doctorate appointments at the University of Florida and a commensurate salary which is significantly higher than most fellowship positions.
- Internal Medicine or Family Medicine, Board-eligible or Board-certified in the United States
- Proficiency in French or Haitian Creole suggested but not required
- Prior global health experience preferred
- Adaptable, flexible, and good communicator
- Willingness to live in Haiti 4 to 6 months of the year
- Send a CV,
- Brief personal statement, and;
- A letter of recommendation to Vincent DeGennaro, MD, MPH at Vincent.DeGennaro.Jr@medicine.ufl.edu
- Acceptance is on a rolling basis
For more information on our partners at innovating Health Interational, visit http://www.innovatinghealthinternational.org/